Seen and overheard from inside the InStyle/WB official Golden Globes afterparty
After the Golden Globes last night, there were several parties in the Beverly Hilton, including a CAA party and an HBO party, but the place to be was the official shindig thrown by InStyle and the WB (yes, the WB still exists! Who knew?) Jolie staked out the red carpet for the celebrity arrivals, then headed into the party itself, watching the last 15 minutes of the ceremony by the bar while celebrities like Elizabeth Banks, Sarah Chalke, Eva Longoria and Debra Messing sat at tables watching the telecast. Meanwhile, I was surrounded by some of the yummiest men in Hollywood, who also stood at the bar watching the show: James Marsden, Simon Baker, Dave Annabel, Bryan Greenberg, Chris Evans and Barry Watson were all surrounding me, inches away–so close, and yet so far!
As soon as Slumdog Millionaire won Best Picture, the lights dimmed, waiters swooped in to remove the tables, and the lounge became a dance floor as swarms of other celebrities entered. Over the course of two hours, I saw, brushed shoulders with, stood at the bar next to, and walked by (okay, brace yourself!): Leonardo DiCaprio, Emile Hirsch, Kate Beckinsale, Susan Sarandon, Sigourney Weaver, Amy Adams, Amanda Bynes, Joanna Garcia, Olivia Wilde, Seth Rogen, Zac Efron, Kevin Bacon, Kyra Sedgwick, Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Jon Voight, Rick and Kathy Hilton, Rachel Griffiths, Jonathan Rhys-Meyers, Steve Coogan, Grant Show, Minka Kelly, America Ferrera, Joy Bryant, Brittany Snow, Molly Sims, Taylor Momsen, Adrianne Palicki, Kevin Nealon, Sophie Dahl, David Boreaneaz, Skeet Ulrich, John Leguizamo, Yvonne Strahovski, Kevin Connolly, Hayden Panettiere, Adrian Grenier, and Megan Fox. Phew! (Later, inside the HBO party, I saw Jenna Fischer, Melissa George, Jon Hamm, Sophia Bush and Kevin Dillon.) The celeb to “real person” ratio was 2:1 – I literally felt like the only non-famous person there.
Now, the fun stuff!
- Early in the evening, during a funk song, Dave Annabel and David Boreaneaz tore it up on the empty dance floor, waving their arms around and being silly while their girls laughed.
- I ran into Sarah Chalke in the bathroom while she was waiting for Elizabeth Banks, and we got into a conversation about Elnett hairspray, which we were both using. After I said the air smelled like Elnett, she said, “I know, it’s the best! I could just drink it!” (I know she said this because I am a loser and whipped out my Blackberry two seconds later to write it down.)
- Amy Adams approached Emile Hirsch, who was standing right near me at the bar, and complimented him on his work and told him Milk was amazing. A few seconds later, James Marsden walked up to give Amy a kiss on the cheek while she was talking to Emile, and a photographer corralled the three of them together. Meanwhile, Susan Sarandon, who was standing being Emile, saw the photo action, and snuck up behind Emile and made bunny fingers while the photo was being taken.
- Emile, who I’ve always crushed on, was sporting a really weird mustache. Later, he and Leonardo DiCaprio hung out together in the back of the party.
- Len Wiseman stepped on the back of his wife Kate Beckinsale’s white dress as they walked through the party. She didn’t seem thrilled by this.
- America Ferrera’s boyfriend is really good looking.
- Eva Longoria looked much prettier in person than in the photos of her dress and hair I’d seen a few hours prior.
- Brittany Snow ordered a vodka and diet coke.
- Barry Watson chatted with a lot of different celebrites and seemed very popular and cheerful.
- I kept running into Bryan Greenberg, who was near the bar at the beginning of the night, and seemed to be floating between crowds. He’s very cute and had a different vibe than many of the other celebrities–more “real person” than Hollywood.
- Leonardo DiCaprio is super sexy in person and is aging fabulously. He had his mother with him, and as they left, saying they were heading to the CAA party, they ran into Kevin Connolly, swooping him up and taking him with them.
- Taylor Momsen (Jenny Humphrey from Gossip Girl) is painfully, horrifyingly skinny in person; the bones were jutting out of her shoulders in a way that looked very unhealthy. Sad.
- Adrianne Palicki, Elizabeth Banks and Sophie Dahl are all especially stunning in person.
- I took a photo with Elizabeth Banks (will post in a minute!) who was super sweet and friendly. She and Seth Rogan, who has lost a ton of weight, greeted each other like old friends and chatted for a while.
- Zac Efron looked different from the last time I saw him–a bit leaner in the face and more grown-up.
- Lots of celebrities were outside smoking at InStyle/WB, which featured crystal jars full of cigarettes for the taking. The music, meanwhile, was courtesy of a band with singers performing covers.
- Before I was entering the party, I crossed paths with Beyonce and Jay-Z, who were leaving the Hilton before the ceremony was over. Jay-Z looks exactly like you’d expect him to, but Beyonce was truly gorgeous, more than I’d given her credit for in photos.
- At the HBO party (which had an insane line, Nazi security and took forever to get into, especially seeing as I didn’t have a ticket and had to talk my way in!), Jon Hamm seemed…erm…tipsy, shall we say.
- Melissa George walked by, recognized me from yesterday’s L’Oreal beauty suite, and complimented me on my hair!
- The massive HBO party was outside, around a huge pool, and had klieg lights projecting the HBO logo onto the walls, with dance music (Rihanna, Justin Timberlake, Lady Gaga) blaring.
- I left just after midnight, nearly tripping over Kevin Dillon as I exited. All in a day’s work!